Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Spy Who Didn't Shag Me and A Week of Movies

WTF? Russia? The Cold War ended in 1991 but I guess you didn't get the memo. Does the Warsaw Pact ring any bells? Guess not. If you've been hiding under a rock then you have no idea that we've been invaded by Russian spies. Yup...spies. It's weird to think they're still out there. I don't know about you but when I hear the word spy images of the 1950's come to mind. Spies exist in history or in cinema, right? I guess I need to take off those rose colored glasses I referenced last week because apparently they DO exist and they're watching us. Not to fear, though. We're watching them just as close if not closer. Kind of brings to mind movies featuring Matt Damon, Will Smith, Daniel Craig, or James Mason (The Deadly Affair-1966) doesn't it?

Watching the news these days puts me in the mood to grab some popcorn and watch a buff hot guy beat the hell out of somebody while wearing a trenchcoat. However, the ugly truth is that this is honestly a serious deal. It seems Obama's "Reset" plan with Russia isn't working. I'll give it to the Reds. They sure know what Americans like. They picked a hot red head to ingratiate her way into the most exclusive social circles in New York. Give a girl a good dye job, a push up bra, and a mysterious accent and men will spill all their secrets. Nice going, Russia. I guess we're not that hard to figure out. Hell, watch one episode of the Real Housewives of any given city and you know how to yank our chain.

Currently there are 10 individuals in custody all charged with espionage. The main focus has been on Anna Chapman who's given name is Anya Kuschenko. Um..clue one. ;) That Russia is continuing to spy on the US was a little surprising to me given that for the most part our relations have cooled to a level I would describe as tolerable...perhaps even somewhat friendly. But, I'm finding out in the many news articles I've read that spy operations are "back at Cold War levels" with both Russia and China. As one coworker put it, "The Cold War never ended. We just quit throwing things at each other." Food for thought as we watch this unfold.



In much less threatening news, I was off for five days last week and I dedicated my time to catching up on my movies! It was really too hot to do much else. Here's what I watched and a few thoughts on each one.



Shutter Island - Decent flick starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Michelle Williams. Twists and turns are fun even though they're predictable. Leo pulls off some great acting (as usual) and Martin Scorsese delivers nothing less than stellar directing and cinematography. Netflix it.



The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus - Wow. This was a colorful, beautiful, out there film and I loved it! From the mind of Terry Gilliam (Monty Python) this film features Johnny Depp, the beautiful Lily Cole (naughty model from London), Jude Law, Christopher Plummer, and the late Heath Ledger. Look for a mystical plot and beautiful costuming. No spoilers here but Netflix this one for sure!



Lars and The Real Girl - Loved it! I saw a documentary on weirdos who can't seem to connect to real people. In order to fill that void they form intimate relationship with what's called a Real Doll. Yes, this really happens. Thanks, BBC, for the education. Ryan Gosling plays the lovable yet effed up lead named Lars. Bianca, his stoic love interest, is played by...well, Bianca. Let's just say she's pretty plastic. The plot follows the ups and downs of Lars and his lady love, how his family deals with his perceived break with reality, his "treatment", and the real girl who just might save him from his lonely illness. Great flick. Funny, heartwarming, and a little odd. Not quite a chick flick but pretty close. Netflix it.

Marie Antionette - Gorgeous. This one is old but somehow I missed it. Guys won't like it. It's just an excuse for us girlies to live vicariously through Kirsten Dunst and play dress up in incredible French gowns. This movie obviously follows the life of Marie Antionette. The costumes and sets are absolutely breathtaking. It feels a tad like Moulin Rouge as director Sophia Coppola uses current music as the soundtrack to Marie's life. There is very little dialogue but the expressions and actions tell the story superbly. If you're a girly girl Netflix it. If you're not then skip it. This one isn't for guys and probably wouldn't pass for mixed company either.

There you have it movie lovers. Next week: Alice In Wonderland. I don't have a fancy smancy 3D television so I am curious how it will translate in regular old HD. Either way I'm excited to see Depp. I love love love that guy.

Tune in to the Larry Stanley Show this Monday as we'll be discussing which one of us would make the better spy! Also, who has the Bitch of the Week and I've got tips on how to be happy even though America came in low on the list of Happy Countries according to Gallop. Why so glum? You're life might suck but I guarantee you this: one listen to our show and you'll feel better about you in no time! ;)

Peace friends...even if you're Russian!

No comments:

Post a Comment