Friday, June 4, 2010

WTF? I'm getting....OLD?

We've all grown up hearing our parents and elders say, "When I was your age..." to which we all glazed over and slipped into a nice warm gaze of apathy. Hopefully the story ended quickly and we could pretend we got something out of it so we could get back to our way cool young stuff we were doing before we were interrupted. But, as I get older I; and maybe you too, I have come to appreciate the stories of the past. I actually look forward to hearing what my mom was listening to at 17, what the Elton John ticket cost for her as opposed to me (I think her ticket at 15 was $4.00...mine was $88), what car or motorcycle my dad was rolling around in, and what their favorite movie was when they were "my age." I also love the hippie drug stories. But I won't say from which one. ;) Oh come on...it was the 70's after all!

I'm 29. That doesn't sound old. I know in reality it's not old. But I think it's starting. Here's how I know.

You are officially getting old when you turn on the radio and have no idea who the personalities are talking about. Yes, I think that's the indicator. And this, my friends, is how my morning started.

First, you know you're getting old when you get in your car and it's on 106.1 KISS fm and you ask yourself WHY was I listening to that and you immediately turn it to some classic rock station. What's worse, they're playing stuff you listened to in the early 90s on a CLASSIC rock station. WTF? Has my generation's buzz rock transitioned into classic rock already? At what point will Led Zeppelin be "oldies"?

After a few seconds of being wigged out that MY music is on the classic rock station and not my mother's music, I switched back to KISS because my other go to was on a break. So, let's give ole Kidd a chance. Besides, I listened to him all the time when I was .....young.

I caught them doing the Hizzywood Hizzle which is apparently what they call an entertainment report. It was during this segment that I was still trying to recover from my earlier shock of music era mixup that I further realized I'm sliding down the old rabbit hole. First there was a shout out to Demi Lovato from Kidd for her 18th birthday. I've heard that name...I know she does something. But, really...who the hell is Demi Lovato? I really don't know. Thanks to wiki I know she is an "actress, singer, songwriter" but isn't everyone in Hollywood?

Then there was the story about Justin Bieber. Yeah....um...who? I know he sings like a girl and I think he's 15 or 16 but I really can't tell you anything else about the kid and I also can't understand why he's famous. Maybe because I am too old to "get it." Maybe if I were his age I'd have his poster on my door (do kids still do that???) and the latest issue of Tiger Beat under my bed. Wait...do they still publish Tiger Beat? Oh God. See...old. WTF?

Next up was chatter about Selena Gomez. Again...wikipedia. Turns out she's an actress, singer, songwriter. Hmmm. Ok and....??? I haven't even looked up Taylor Momsen. :( Oh, and Who The (insert word) is Taylor Lautner? Why is everyone named Taylor? Apparently he starred in Twilight..which I never saw bc adults said it sucked. It seems more wiki is in my future.

All is not lost. I did recognize names such as Taylor Swift, Emma Watson, and Dakota Fanning. Ok...maybe I'm only on the cusp of old and haven't quite crossed over yet. Hope springs eter...oh wait...I lost playing the Jonas Brothers album quiz. SIGH. Well, I am starting to understand why my parent's faces were constantly scrunched in confusion. I'm sure they felt the same way about Blind Melon, New Kids on the Block, Joey Lawrence, Tiffany Amber-Thiesen, Vanilla Ice, Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Milli Vanilli, etc, etc, etc.

Well, I'm off to the store to look for Tiger Beat so I can keep up with all this nonsense. I'm told it's a very important part of entertainment news. ;) I'm also told they don't make posters anymore. Apparently, you just plaster Justin Beiber as wallpaper on your many electronic devices. God, I'm lame. And it feels OLD!

No comments:

Post a Comment