Friday, May 14, 2010

Buy Stock in Dawn Unless it's Made in Thailand...and Don't Vacation in Arizona if You Have a Tan. WTF?

Hey BP....you're doing a real bang up job of fixing this oil spill. I'm not saying I could do better but then again I don't have access to billions of dollars like you do. You'd think maybe we could have figured this deal out by now. It's been 3 weeks of constant spilling into our environment. Experts say the environmental and economic damage of this spill has far surpassed the Exxon-Valdez spill of '89. And we haven't even capped off the spill point yet. Anywhere from 56,000 to 84,000 (CNN.com) barrels of oil is leaking a day. When the supertanker Exxon Valdez struck a reef in Prince William Sound, it released 10 million gallons into the surrounding sea and onto the beaches. In the days that followed a quarter of a million sea birds had been killed, along with 22 Orca whales, nearly 3000 sea otters, 300 harbor seals, and unknown millions of fish. And Guess what. There is still oil deep within the sandy beaches. It has remained the worst oil spill in US maritime history...until now. WTF? BP? How about we all quit pointing fingers at each other and come together to FIX THIS TRAGEDY?! Americans are not interested in why you think Halliburton is to blame or what role Trasocean played in this disaster. What we want to see is RESULTS. Why wait until the media gets a hold of all the dead sea turtle pictures to splash on our television screens? Get to work, damn it. You've even pissed off President Obama. I hear that's hard to do...

"I did not appreciate what I considered to be a ridiculous spectacle during the congressional hearings into this matter," the president said after meeting with Cabinet members to discuss the situation. "You had executives of BP and Transocean and Halliburton falling over each other to point the finger of blame at somebody else. The American people could not have been impressed with that display, and I certainly wasn't." -President Obama (cnn.com)

If I had the financial means I would take my friends to the Gulf Coast armed with boxes of Dawn. I simply can't stand the thought of what's to come. Of course, this opens a whole new political can of worms about drilling. Another day....

So, I got tired of seeing the news on the Gulf so I turned the channel from CNN to FOX. I found a whole new world of fun there! It seems Thailand is in a world of mess. The interesting thing is I have no idea why!

Ok...so I googled it. Let's face it. You dont' know either. Here ya go:

April 13, 2009 -- For the fourth time in forty years, troops have opened fire on pro-democracy demonstrators in Bangkok. Each time, the aim has been the same: to protect the interests of the conservative elites who have run Thailand for the past 70 years. http://links.org.au/node/993

Makes a little more sense now. lol WTF? Can I not hear bad news for just one day? Just one?
As soon as I turned it to FOX there was a slumped over Thai man in army fatigues...shot straight through the head. Blood everywhere, people scrambling to help him, looks of desperation on the faces of those around, and all to a gunfire soundtrack. Damn. I think I need a beer. I'm thankful we live in the good ol US of A. It seems everywhere I look there is a new "civil war" of sorts popping up.

Then, there was Arizona. Ok. Now, Larry and I had a few words about Arizona last week on the show. I tend to straddle the fence. While I think we do have an immigration "problem" and I feel we should respond appropriately for our own safety and financial security; I DON'T think we should treat Mexican Americans or even the illegal immigrants like Jewish refugees from the 1930s. WTF? Arizona? If you haven't kept up with the unfolding events of our neighbor state, all you really need to know is the Gov. passed a house bill that allows for (basically) legal racial profiling. If you look "suspicious" and happen to be Mexican, the Arizona police can ask to see your proof of citizenship. You don't have it? You're out, buddy. The reason this scares me is it harkens back to how the Nazis started and it's a serious violation to the personal rights of those who actually ARE American citizens. The bigger WTF? is that only a few days later HB 2281, which bans schools from teaching classes that are designed for students of a particular ethnic group was passed. The Tucson Unified School District program offers specialized courses in African-American, Mexican-American and Native-American studies that focus on history and literature and include information about the influence of a particular ethnic group.
For example, in the Mexican-American Studies program, an American history course explores the role of Hispanics in the Vietnam War, and a literature course emphasizes Latino authors. But under the new bill these classes will not be allowed. So basically, if you read the undercurrent you can't even LEARN about Mexican American heritge. Now, THAT is my WTF?
Like it or not you can't change history. That's like saying Black History Month is banned. We aren't goint to acknowledge it or teach it anymore. Just ignore that part of our history as if it never happened. Now, immigration issues aside, my WTF? is the fact that Arizona seems to think it's ok to ignore the whole Mexican American heritage and not even give those students a chance to learn about their past and how their history is woven into ours. That is wrong. WTF?

Whew. I'm done with "real" news. I think I'm going to head home, take a nap, grab a beer (hahaha...a Negro Modelo to be exact) and watch some TMZ. It's way less thought provoking and I really need that right now!

Until next time...WTF?

No comments:

Post a Comment