Friday, January 29, 2010

To Cut or Not to Cut

One of my fave shows is Nip/Tuck. Dramatic, crazy, funny, sexy, and twisted. What's scarier? It's a sign of just how far we'll go to look a certain way. Ok ok, it's a tv show but it hits home for alot of us. I can't tell you how many magazines I pick up or images flashed on the tv/internet I see that have something to do with plastic surgery. There are whole sites dedicated to who's had what just laden with before and after pics. Our favorite celebs addicted to the knife include Joan Rivers and, of course, the late Michael Jackson. Of course, these scenarios should serve as a warning to the rest of us. Once you start looking alien....put the knife down!

So, why did this come to mind today? Because I had a conversation with a friend earlier in the week about all the things I want. And after a few minutes...I had almost a whole page list! It's weird. Why? Why do we pick ourselves apart until we have a legal size pad full of procedures we think we need? Why can't we just be happy with ourselves and the skin we've been given? Must we always compare ourselves against the impossible standards Hollywood sets forth? The answer is sadly...YES. The sad part is watching it invade minds that are entirely too young to ponder such things. I seem to recall a plastic surgery rumor about little Ashley Simpson back when she was about 15. A nose job I think. That's insane. I understand the pressures...believe me...but 15!?!?!?! REALLY!?!?! You're beautiful to begin with, Ashley. And when does it stop? Heidi Montag recently made headlines for her procedures of late. Now that was drastic...and FAST! One face today...different face tomorrow.

And thank you ABC for shows like Extreme Makeover for making it all seem so simple and painless. Now, young viewers (teen girls specifically) can watch and decide they need veneers, nose jobs, brow lifts, tummy tucks, butt implants, breast implants, eye lifts...oh and a new hair cut and color and be back at school in a week. Um...no.

Now, I'm not spouting how awful and evil changing yourself is. I'll be honest. If I had 10 g's in savings I'd have a couple things done. If it's truly for YOU and you're ok with it...do it. I'm not going to judge. But, I just hope those that decide to go under the knife love themselves to begin with. I hope that should you ever choose to get sliced and diced it's for YOU and not because you want Kim Kardashian's boobs, Reese Witherspoon's nose, and Angelina's smile because society tells you that's what you should look like. Case in point? Tara Reid's stomach. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment