Monday, June 29, 2009

Big Bad Steph Says Year One Sucked

I went with high hopes. I went prepared to laugh. I went ready to laugh so hard I could spit popcorn all over the row in front of me. I left ready to spit popcorn all over Jack Black. Ok Jack...where's the genius because it's not in Year One!

Year One stars Jack Black and Michael Cera (Arrested Development, Superbad) as cavemen on the run after being banished from their tribe when Black eats fruit from the forbidden tree of knowledge. The antics are SUPPOSED to begin there but the plot never really flows or develops enough to deliver solid laughs.

Seriously..where was the "ACTING"? Jack Black was mildly humorous in scenes by himself but when paired with his sidekick (Michael Cera) there was very little chemistry. They were unbelievable as bosom buddies. I didn't feel the duo related well to each other at all. That was my major issue with this film. I maybe could have overlooked the sophomoric jokes and obvious predictable set ups if only this duo could have pulled off a convincing partnership. The age difference beetween these characters seemed odd to me. I know if I was a twenty something cave chick I wouldn't have been hanging out in the local Cougar Pond. The pairing wasn't beleivable even in that regard. I should really write a letter to the casting agent on this one.

Larry said it had a 50% chance of being funny. He was right! Basically this film gives up all the goods it has to offer in the previews and commercials. Take it from me and don't bother with the $10.00 movie ticket. Just watch the previews a couple of times and you've got the idea. The other disappointing factor is just when you think, "well...ok...maybe it was at least fun to make. Maybe the out takes will make up for what I've just endured...." they don't and you're just disappointed again.
Boo Jack Black. And it seemed like the next fun, cultish, quotable flick....

Cast: Jack Black, Michael Cera, Hank Azaria, David Cross, Olivia Wilde
Directed by: Harlold Ramis
Rating: PG-13

No comments:

Post a Comment